Built to Fail
The Inside Story of Blockbuster’s Inevitable Bust
About the summary
How did Blockbuster go from a sure bet to what Carl Icahn called ‘the worst investment I ever made’? It turns out that streaming didn’t kill Blockbuster— its culture and leadership did. In Built to Fail, it’s time to find out why. Trace the incredible rise, massive domination, and eventual fall of the world’s most famous video store and discover how the lessons of what went wrong and what could have gone right can help owners, entrepreneurs, and managers everywhere build more resilient businesses.
In This Summary, You Will Learn:
- How Blockbuster rose from small video store chain to the leader in video rentals worldwide.
- The management change that led to Blockbuster’s initial decline.
- How Blockbuster’s own actions (and inaction) were more devastating than anything Netflix or other competitors did.
- What leaders can learn from Blockbuster’s mistakes.
- Primal Leadership Annie McKee, Daniel Goleman, Richard Boyatzis
- Credibility James Kouzes, Barry Z. Posner
- 7 Ways to Lead Andre Young
- Who Killed Change? John Britt, Pat Zigarmi, Judd Hoekstra, Ken Blanchard
- Drucker on Leadership William A. Cohen, Ph.D.
- The Long-Distance Leader Kevin Eikenberry, Wayne Turmel