Storytelling, Generational Insights, Workplace Engagement, and Dealing with Change … all timely topics that we address in this month’s Spotlight.
Each month, Soundview summarizes many books that will help you strengthen your career skills. To help you carve out a career success path, here are a few of the noteworthy selections from July that we summarized.
The Reinventionist Mindset
Learning to Love Change, and the Human How of Doing It Brilliantly
by Joe Jackman
Humans resist change, even when they know it’s essential to survival. In The Reinventionist Mindset, Joe Jackman encourages business leaders and entrepreneurs to recognize that the greatest risk to their organizations lies not in the future, but in the present and explains how to stay relevant—or return to relevance—quickly and humanly.
In our Summary of The Reinventionist Mindset, you will learn:
- The five principles of the Reinventionist Mindset.
- Why the greatest risk of failure is in the present, not future.
- The importance of moving fast to reinvent your business.
- The rules of the “game” of reinventing your business.
by Michael Margolis
Great leaders are great storytellers.
In Story 10X: Turn the Impossible Into the Inevitable, Michael Margolis expands on his approach that’s been proven in the dojos of Silicon Valley, the conference rooms of Fortune 500s, and the town halls of local nonprofits. His methods include how to turn any person into a master storyteller, one who can command a room and use proven principles to bring people to their side.
In our Summary of Story 10X, you will learn:
- Why storytelling is so vital in the age of disruption in which we live.
- What separates bad stories from truly great ones.
- How to take yourself from an outsider of a group to an insider.
- How to believe in your story and make your audience do the same.
Pick Up the Gum Wrapper
How to Create a Workplace that Increases Performance While Improving Lives
by Joe Bertotto
Imagine working in a place where you’re doing more of the work you’re good at and enjoy, and a place where you’re not only accepted for who you are but also encouraged and supported as you grow. Pick Up the Gum Wrapper: How to Create a Workplace That Increases Performance While Improving Lives identifies three ways leaders can create such a workplace and propel their companies forward.
In our Summary of Pick Up the Gum Wrapper, you will learn:
- How to promote a highly engaged workforce.
- How to create agreed-upon Behavioral Expectations that foster mutual respect and predictability among the workforce.
- How to implement leadership practices that provide a springboard for employees’ performance to soar and to live better lives.
- How to achieve “Worvana”: Nirvana at work!
The Making of a Millennial Baby Boomer
by Bob Fisch
In Fisch Tales: The Making of a Millennial Baby Boomer, Bob Fisch shares motivational lessons learned from his years in retail, notably as CEO of Rue21. Millennial Baby Boomer captures the idea of staying ageless. An MBB is a bit of a chameleon, someone with a survival instinct. Each of us is a one-of-a-kind creation who never stops being a work in progress. If you’re not always moving forward, you stop growing.
In our Summary of Fisch Tales, you will learn:
- Lessons for passing on what you have learned.
- The role of good listening to influence others.
- The necessity of measured risk-taking for success.
- To help new leaders own their vision and their future.
Soundview subscribers get in-depth summaries of the key concepts in best-selling business books (like those listed above) delivered to them every week! Take your career to new heights by staying up-to-date with the trends and ideas affecting business leaders around the globe. Download a free sample now.