According to Michael Hyatt, author of Your Best Year Ever, there are 5 steps you need to execute over the next 12 months of your life to make it the most meaningful and significant you’ve ever experienced:
- Believe the Possibility. If our habits of thinking are beneficial, we tend to experience positive results such as happiness, satisfaction, and even material success. But, if our habits of thinking are counterproductive, we often experience unhappiness and dissatisfaction. When we focus on belief improvement, often our circumstances follow suit.
- Complete the Past. After limiting beliefs, the next most common barrier we encounter is the past. Utilize a backward thinking method to avoid dragging the unwanted past into your future. State what you wanted to happen, acknowledge what actually happened, learn from the experience, and adjust your behavior moving forward.
- Design Your Future. Great results don’t usually just happen. You need to find the clarity you need so you can create the life you want. There are 7 keys to transforming our resolutions, aspiration, and dreams into compelling written goals. Each must be Specific, Measurable, Actionable, Risky, Time-keyed, Exciting, and Relevant (SMARTER).
- Find Your Why. It is important to identify and connect with the motivations behind each of your goals. First, record and prioritize your key motivations, and then you must connect both intellectually and emotionally with them.
- Make It Happen. Planning is not enough – it takes action to fully realize your goals. Start by tackling some easy steps. These early ‘wins’ will boost your mood – you’ll feel like you have momentum on your side. Also, don’t be afraid to seek outside help, and most importantly, schedule items and commit to act. If it doesn’t get on your calendar or task list, it’s probably not going to happen.
This is your year. Don’t defer your dreams any longer. Once you’ve determined your next step, take it!
Soundview subscribers get in-depth summaries of the key concepts in best-selling business books delivered to them every month! Take your career to new heights by staying up-to-date with the trends and ideas affecting business leaders around the globe.