Incivility is silently chipping away at people, organizations and our economy. Slights, insensitivities and rude behaviors can cut deeply and hijack focus. Even if people want to perform well, they can’t. Ultimately incivility cuts the bottom line. In Mastering Civility, Christine Porath, the leading authority on workplace incivility, shows why it pays to be civil and how people can enhance their influence and effectiveness with civility. Combining scientific research with fascinating evidence from popular culture and fields such as neuroscience, medicine and psychology, Porath makes clear what’s really at stake regarding civility, helps individuals evaluate and improve their own behavior and provides valuable strategies for how leaders can find and keep employees who help to create civility in organizations. Mastering Civility provides managers and employers with a much-needed wake-up call, while also reminding them of what they can do right now to improve the quality of their workplaces.
IN THIS SUMMARY, YOU WILL LEARN:
• The physical, psychological and monetary costs of incivility for individuals and organizations.
• Why you can be civil and get ahead.
• To evaluate your own civility and concrete strategies to improve.
• A four-step plan for organizations to improve civility.
• How to respond if you are the target of incivility.